My exciting journey through grad school at Oakland University: the people I met, the lessons I carry with me, the wonderful opportunities, my time in AAUW (American Association of University Women), the joy in learning, and the suspense within research.
[excerpt from the first blog entry:]
I don’t have a recipe for success and everyone’s situation is unique, but I’d like to leave you with some words of advice for changing your life.
- Ask yourself what you want. What are your goals? What is important to you and why?
- Figure out a plan on how to achieve your goals. It doesn’t have to be perfect. It can be as simple as finding the answer to, “What now?”
- Ask for help: In my case, I was lucky to have support from my family and friends. Whatever you need, turn to someone you trust.
- Do your research. Be curious. Ask questions.
- Fear is normal: Change can be spooky. It’s perfectly OK to be nervous when you try something new.
- Write an end to your last chapter: Whatever made you angry, sad and/or frustrated before, it’s in the past. Tell it to fuck off and move on.
- Celebrate the change: It’s brave to make a change in your life, whether it’s a decision to jog every morning or packing your things and move to another city. Pat yourself on the back!
- Dare to dream: Once you start pursuing your goals, you’ll find yourself thinking of other adventures to embrace. I myself have become much more of a go-getter since I started grad school. I even started taking karate classes last summer!
[oldest to newest]
Life Lesson: Things Can Change May 2, 2017
Part 1 – The Choice May 9, 2017
Part 2 – Things to Expect May 17, 2017
Part 3 – Sticking your chin out May 24, 2017
Part 4 – Time Management June 18, 2017
Letter to My College Freshman Self July 3, 2017
Part 5 – “What Summer Break?” September 6, 2017
Part 6 – “Sucker-Punching the Last Year” (+ thesis proposal intro) October 15, 2017
Part 7 – I’m Getting More Than a Degree November 17, 2017
^Got my blue belt in Shotokan karate towards the end of my grad school career.
Part 8 – Thesis Progress in Pictures (Fall ’17) December 26, 2017
Part 9 – Final Countdown April 26, 2018
Part 10 – Last Advice May 6, 2018